Palight Trimboard does not require paint for protection, but may be painted to achieve a desired color. If you decide to paint, there are some important things to know.
Just Peel and Paint
Palight Trimboard features EverClean™ protective film masking that helps prevent fine dust from adhering to it, which can inhibit paint adhesion. EverClean film is designed to be left on the trimboard until it's ready to be painted (up to 90 days after installation)
Selecting the Right Paint.
IMPORTANT: PVC trimboard can become distorted as a result of heat absorption. To prevent this, be sure to select colors with a Light Reflectance Value (LRV) of 55 or higher. If you use a color with an LRV of 54 or less, it must be specifically formulated by the paint manufacturer for use on vinyl/pvc products. For example, some colors within Sherwin-Williams' VinylSafe™ paints line have LRV's less than 55, but are designed to reduce excessive heat gain.
Manufacturers of PVC Compatible Paint
Blue River Coatings
- Use paints that are 100% acrylic latex or acrylic latex with a urethane additive.
- It is recommended that you use only stock colors that are compatible with PVC trim.
- If you have a custom colors mixed, it is possible that incompatible materials may be added to the paint during the custom colors blending process.
- Follow the paint manufacturer's recommended procedures for preparation and application. No special surface preparations are required prior to painting—just ensure the Palight surfaces are clean, dry, and dust-free.
- Fine dust can collect on the surface of Palight due to static.
- To ensure a dust free surface that will promote good paint adhesion, leave the protective film in place and remove just prior to painting.
- If protective film has been removed, wipe trimboards with a rag moistened with isopropyl alcohol prior to painting, or mild detergent and water. Moisture cycling is a main reason for paint failure on wood.
- Since Palight absorbs no moisture paints last longer on Palight than wood (usually 3 to 4 times).
- Because Palight Trimboard does not absorb moisture, paint can take as long as 30 days to fully cure, depending on outdoor temperatures and humidity.
- Palram is not liable for paint used on Palight Trimboard and/or the results of its use.
Sherwin-Williams Sand Color Paint Match Info